"We Negro writers, just by being black, have been on the blacklist all our lives. Censorship for us begins at the color line." -Langston Hughes

Monday, April 23, 2012

Class reflection #3- Dramatic irony vs. Verbal irony

    In "The Cask of Amontillado", I learned that there are two different types of irony and we distinguished between the two.  The examples provided for each helped me better understand the difference between the two.  Dramatic irony is when the reader perceives something that a character does not.  An example of this would be when Fortunado is descending down the catacombs, he's ironcially descending towards his death too.  We also said that anytime there is a costume or a dark staircase or when Montressor says 'long live your life" and "R.I.P".  Verbal irony means that the character says one thing but means something different.  One example of this is when Fortunado says "The cough is a mere nothing; it will not kill me. I shall not die of a cough." (Poe 4).  Another example is when Montressor says how he drinks to Fortunado's long life.  The characters says one thing but we all know that he actually means the exact opposite.  I was never able to decipher between these two types of irony before this class.  Infact, I never even knew there were two kinds of irony to begin with!

No comments:

Post a Comment